Don't be left out in the cold this winter...get your home ready now!
We had Storum Callum last week and the clocks are due to go back at the end of the month.
That means it’s time to get your home ready for winter.
There are a few simple steps you can take to make sure you’re not left out in the cold this season.
- Report any leaves dropping into the gutters. If your home is near trees, the leaves can cause blockages and water could get in.
- If you have a pitched roof, look up from the outside and check you have no gaping holes or missing tiles – but don’t be tempted to go up there yourself.
- Check your doors and windows for gaps as draughts can see fuel bills rise.
- Make sure you have enough credit on pre-payment meters.
- Don’t ignore your annual gas safety check. If you can’t make the appointment we send you, call us and we’ll rebook.
- It’s important to stay warm but make sure you ventilate your home too or you could get condensation. Use extractor fans in bathrooms and kitchens when showering and cooking.
- If your heating is not working, never use your gas cooker to keep warm. It can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. Call us to report it.
- If you have elderly or vulnerable neighbours who live alone, why not check to see how they’re doing?
Useful web links:
Are you entitled to the winter fuel payment? This is money that certain people get to help pay their heating bills. Find out if you’re eligible here.
Plymouth City Council has some useful advice here.
If you’ve got any questions or concerns, please call us on 0808 230 6500.