Fire Safety in the Home this winter

During the winter, it’s important to stay warm at home, but it’s even more important to stay warm safely.

Our handy tips will help you to stay cosy and safe during the cold spell:

Electric Blankets

  • Never go to sleep with an electric blanket on your bed. Around 65 fires per year are caused by faulty electric blankets, so ensure that this equipment is used under supervision, never left on when not in use and unplugged and stored safely when you’re finished using it.
  • Never use a hot water bottle in the same bed as an electric blanket, even if it’s switched off.

Smoke Alarms

  • Make sure that you test that your smoke alarm is working on a regular basis. You can even sign up for reminder alerts to test your smoke alarms or replace the batteries.
  • Never disconnect your smoke alarm.

Candles

  • Don’t leave candles unattended in your home. If you do light candles, make sure that they’re not close to any fabrics or flammable materials and are placed out of the reach of children.
  • If you have a power cut, use torches rather than lighting candles, as they’re safer and have a longer lifespan.

Portable Heaters

  • Do not use portable heaters to dry clothes or place them near to curtains or furniture.
  • On average, two fires a day are caused by portable heaters, so it’s essential to use them safely. Make sure they are secured against a wall wherever possible and unplugged before you go to bed or leave the house.

Chip Pans

  • Never leave a chip pan unattended, even just to answer the phone. Chip pan fires account for a fifth of all fires in the home and almost 20 people are killed or injured each day as a result of accidental kitchen fires.
  • If you do have a chip pan fire, call 999 immediately. Never try to move the pan and do not attempt to put the fire out with water, as this will cause a fireball.

Bonfire Night is just around the corner, so we’ll be back with more handy safety advice closer to the time, to help you enjoy the night safe and sound.