We’re joining thousands of businesses across the country as part of a national campaign to pledge our support to promote gas safety and keep our residents and staff safe.
We’re helping to spread the gas safety message, as a social landlord we employ Gas Safe registered employees and service boilers and gas appliances in over 13,500 homes each year.
It is important that we ensure the safety of the residents living in our home, and we do what we can to keep you safe.
Gas Safety Week launched in 2011 and now in its 11th year is supported by just shy of 5,000 businesses across the country.
While we do what we can to keep you safe – you still have a part to play:
- Know the signs of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness. Unsafe gas appliances can put you at risk of CO poisoning, gas leaks, fires and explosions.
- Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly – e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
- Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm – this will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
- Keep vents and chimneys clear – make sure you don’t block any vents, as they are vital to ensure gas appliances burn properly, and chimneys need to be cleaned and checked regularly.
- Use gas appliances only for their intended purpose – don’t be tempted to use them for something they weren’t meant for (e.g. using a gas cooker to heat a room).
- Know the emergency procedure – if you smell or suspect immediate danger, make sure you familiarise yourself with the emergency procedure and contact the relevant number for your UK region.
- Spread the word – share vital gas safety information with friends, family and neighbours to make sure your community is safe.