Font size Text size
Font size Contrast
Google translate Google translate
click to choose
click to activate

Treasured plants live on in new home

A woman who moved out of her PCH home seven years ago has been reunited with the beloved plants she tended there for fifteen years.

Jo Cole left her home in Dryburgh Crescent in 2013. Her daughter remained at the home with her dad but five years later, it was sadly ravaged by a fire.

The family’s rescue dog Kia died in the blaze and we confirmed the home would have to come down and be rebuilt.

The house has recently been demolished, which prompted Jo to ask us if she could retrieve the plants, which she had lovingly planted and cared for.

We were happy to let her have them and two of our staff, Heidi Bavin and Cheryl Hyatt, offered to help her dig them up, ensuring social distancing guidelines were followed.

Jo, who now lives in St Budeaux, said: “I planted some fuchsias about 15 years ago and roses in 2011. I drove past once and saw the rose tree in full bloom. It was so high.

“I rang up PCH and asked if I could have some of the plants back. When they said yes I thought ‘wow!” There are so many memories there. On the first anniversary of the fire we all went back with balloons.

“Taking these plants was the last thing we were able to take from Dryburgh. It’s like I have a part of my house with me. It may sound strange to some but not to me it doesn’t. It means so much so I’d like to say a big thank you.

“Cheryl brought along some plant pots too and I’m going to put them in my front garden.”

Housing Officer Heidi said: “I was originally contacted to request plants from the garden of the home in Dryburgh Crescent. The plants have some sentimental value to Jo and she can now replant them in her garden.”

Claims Handler Cheryl added: “I got involved as I’ve had dealings with the site managers since the property was demolished due to the fire. I’ve never been into gardening myself, but my late dad really was and I know how sentimentally attached he was to his plants so I offered to help.”