Adaptations and your home

As your needs change, you may find that your home needs to have adjustments made to help you remain independent for longer. Whether it’s due to a disability, long-term illness or getting older, you may be able to receive equipment or adaptations to help.

For very minor adaptations, you can access our on-demand service without an assessment from an Occupational Therapist. This would include things like grab rails, bath seats or strobe lighting for the hard of hearing. You can contact Millbrook Healthcare directly on 0845 223 2454 to place an order and they will deliver the items within four weeks of the request being made. The On Demand Full Product List can be downloaded here.

Residents who need more in-depth property adaptations must contact Plymouth City Council who work with partner organisations to help you continue to live independently in your own home.

PCC will either work with Livewell Southwest for adult needs or make a referral to Gateway, who will carry out an assessment with an Occupational Therapist.

To find out if you could benefit from any adaptations to your home you can contact Livewell Southwest on 01752 668000 or Gateway on 01752 668000.

The assessment and most of the more minor alterations are free; however you may need to contribute to the cost of some major adaptations, dependent on your household income. If you need help with funding these adaptations you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant.


Moving to a More Suitable Home

Adapting your current home might not always be the best solution. There may be other homes already adapted or properties purpose built for people with disabilities that would suit your needs better.

If you do decide that moving is the right choice for you, your Housing Officer will discuss all the options available to you.


You can find our Adaptions Policy and our Mobility Scooter Policy here.