I think I can smell gas!
If you think you can smell gas, suspect you may be suffering from the effects of carbon monoxide or if your carbon monoxide alarm is activated you need to do something about it straight away.
To help you speak to the right person and get the right advice, we have added a 'key press' option to our phone lines.
When selected, you will transfer straight through to the National Gas Emergency Service.
Repairs Freephone 0808 230 6500 - Press 1
This video explains what to do if you think you can smell gas:
So what happens when someone dials the National Gas Emergency Service?
When you use the key press option, your call will be routed to the National Gas Service call centre (you can also dial directly on 0800 111 999 if you prefer).
It doesn't matter what time of day or night you ring - trained operators work round-the-clock waiting to take your call and give you advice on what to do.
You'll be asked:
- The address/location of the suspected gas escape or gas emergency
- How many people are at the property where the smell is most noticeable
- How long the smell has been noticeable
- If the smell is coming from the cellar/basement
- Are any neighbours affected
- Your name and phone number
- Any special circumstances or access information
All calls to the Gas Emergency Service may be recorded and monitored.
The only time the key press option should be used is if you suspect you have a gas leak, release of carbon monoxide or your carbon monoxide alarm is sounding.