Font size Text size
Font size Contrast
Google translate Google translate
click to choose
click to activate

Contents insurance

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind should the worst happen.

We do not cover your contents as part of the tenancy agreement so it’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for in order to make an informed decision on whether you need one.

Find out more about My Home Contents Insurance, how to make a claim on your policy, the complaints process and how to contact us to get further information. 

  • My Home Contents Insurance

    We have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks who provide specialist tenants’ contents insurance policies. The National Housing Federation My Home Contents Insurance Scheme is a specialist insurance scheme provided by Thistle Tenant Risks and all tenants living in social and affordable housing are eligible to apply.

    Thistle Tenant Risks Contents Insurance scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

  • Why should I choose contents insurance?
    • No excess (you don’t pay the first part of the claim)
    • Covers theft, water damage, fire and many more household risks
    • Covers tenants’ improvements (up to £2000)
    • Covers contents in sheds, outbuildings and garages (up to £2000)
    • Covers damage to external glazing for which you are responsible
    • Covers replacement and installation of locks for outside doors or windows and alarms, if keys are lost or stolen
    • You don’t need to have special door or window locks
    • All postcodes are included.
  • Who is this policy for?

    Thistle Tenant Risks Contents Insurance has been designed to meet the demands and needs of social housing residents looking to purchase home contents insurance and Thistle have approached a single insurer RSA - Royal & Sun Alliance plc. The cover is subject to the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions contained in the policy wording which you should read carefully.

    Policy wording

    If you are unsure whether this insurance policy is right for you please contact PCH. 

  • How do I get further information?

    If you’d like to apply for home contents insurance, you can do so by completing an application form which you can download and email to: as an attachment (not a link).

    Application form

    You can also post it to:

    Plymouth Community Homes

    Finance Department

    Plumer House

    Tailyour Road


    PL6 5DH

    Prior to completing the application form, please review the Notice of important change(s) to your policy and Insurance Product Information Document. These documents give you important information on your rights and how we deal with you and your insurance and key information regarding the insurance cover. 

    Please note that the insurance policy we provide is arranged on a non-advised basis. This means that you will be provided with the key information to be able to make an informed decision on which cover is appropriate for your needs.

  • How can I make a claim on my insurance policy?

    Please note you must be in credit with your payments to be eligible to make a claim on your policy.

    When an accident happens, take any immediate action you think is necessary to reduce further loss or damage to your property and belongings, such as switching off the gas, electricity or water.

    Look at your policy to check that the loss or damage is covered. Read carefully what is not covered under the section We will not pay for and any policy exclusions that may apply.

    Contact the Claims Administrator:

    The Claims Administrator

    Davies Group

    Direct House

    Lacy Way

    Lowfields Business Park



    HX5 9DB

    0345 671 8171

    You must complete the Claim Form and forward it to the Claims Administrator at the address shown on the Claim Form as soon as possible. The Claims Administrator will then deal with your claim.

  • What is the complaints process?

    We always aim to get things right first time and we are committed to ensuring that we achieve the highest level of service for our customers. If you feel this hasn’t happened, we would like to hear about it so that we have an opportunity to put things right for you and to improve our service in the future.

    If you have a complaint about the sale or service of your insurance policy, call us on 0808 230 6500 in the first instance.


    Alternatively, a copy of Thistles complaint’s procedure is available on request. For additional information, view their complaints policy.

    If you have a complaint relating to your policy, please contact Thistle Insurance Services Limited:

    0345 450 7286

    Thistle Tenant Risks

    Thistle Insurance Services Limited

    Southgate House



    GL1 1UB

    Thistle Tenant Risks is a trading style of Thistle Insurance Services Limited. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Lloyd’s Broker. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.