Subject access requests

How to request personal information from Plymouth Community Homes

The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right, subject to certain exemptions, to have access to any personal information held about you, often referred to as the right of ‘subject access request’.

Unless we have lawful reason for withholding this information we will provide you with access.

Your rights when making a request

If we do hold personal information about you we will:

  • give you a description of it
  • tell you where is has come from
  • provide you with a copy of the information held where you are entitled to it

The Subject Access Request Application Form and Guidance notes for Applicant will help you to make such a request, help us to locate the information you require and satisfy ourselves as to your identity. Whilst the form is helpful in providing all the necessary information we need to process your request, it is not compulsory.

Alternatively, you can write to:

Governance Team
Plymouth Community Homes
Plumer House
Tailyour Road

Proof of identity

 To avoid personal data about one individual being sent to another, either accidently or as the result of deception, Plymouth Community Homes needs to be satisfied as to your identity. In most circumstances we will use the information that was obtained when you started your tenancy to confirm your identity. However on occasion we may ask you to provide further proof of identity before we are able to send your request to you.

Where a request is being made on behalf of a third party we will also ask for evidence of consent from the individual that the third party is acting on their behalf, such as a signed letter.


 A fee of £10 will be payable for each request and a cheque or postal order made payable to Plymouth Community Homes should accompany your request. If you wish you pay by cash we can we can arrange for this to be accepted at our Service Information Centre at Frankfort Gate or at Plumer House, Crownhill. Please do not send cash.

Timescales and response

 You will receive an acknowledgement within 5 working days and a full response within 40 calendar days from receipt of your request, from satisfactory proof of identity and from the information needed being requested.

What can I do if my data is not correct?

If you think the information is wrong you need to tell us. If we agree it is wrong we will arrange for it to be corrected or removed. You will then be able to see an amended copy of the information.

If you need more help on making a Subject Access Request, please telephone the Governance Team on 01752 388364.