Font size Text size
Font size Contrast
Google translate Google translate
click to choose
click to activate

Environmental services

Our neighbourhood Ranger Service is provided to most blocks of flats and maisonettes with communal areas. The level of service received depends on the type of building and the services required.

Ranger duties

Rangers are generally responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of the communal areas such as courtyards, lobbies and communal stairwells. A detailed specification of the services provided to your block is available upon request, however the ranger will usually:

  • clear weeds and litter
  • check communal lighting
  • report repairs to the communal areas
  • keep the bin bays clean and tidy
  • report fly-tipping for removal
  • ensure the laundry is clean and safe

Refuse collection and fly-tipping

Rangers are not responsible for the collection of refuse or recycling bins. This collection is managed by Plymouth City Council.

Flytipping is rubbish that is illegally left on land without the owner's permission. It usually includes large items like white goods, furniture, garden waste, commercial builder waste, litter and any items that householders can’t fit in the brown and green bins.

We don’t pick up bulky items for free. That’s money we could spend on improving services for our residents.

What should you do if you have rubbish that needs removing?

  • Plymouth City Council offers a Bulky Waste collection service – if you receive income support, housing benefit, council tax support or pension credits you get two free collections a year. Call 01752 304750.
  • Plymouth Community Homes can remove it for a charge – a recharge account will be set up for the cost of removal. Call 0808 230 6500.
  • Take it to one of the recycling centres at Weston Mill or Chelson Meadow
  • Report anyone you see fly tipping. As well as committing an offence and potentially being a breach of tenancy, they’re making the area where you live look unsightly and spoiling the quality of life for other residents.


Where laundry facilities are provided, the ranger will carry out a daily safety check before opening and also ensure that the laundry is kept clean and tidy.

Cleaning of Housing with Support

A separate Cleaning Service is run by the Environmental Services department to keep the communal areas clean in our Housing with Support schemes. These areas could include entrances, hallways, laundries, lifts, communal rooms and kitchens areas, and toilet rooms.


Trees are an important part of our estates and we have a legal obligation as a landowner to manage our tree stock to ensure the safety of the public. 

We'll maintain and manage all trees situated on PCH owned communal land. Our tenants also have a responsibility and duty to maintain and preserve PCH’s tree stock growing on the land covered by their tenancy. 

You can refer to our Trees Policy for more information.

How is the service paid for?

The service is paid for as a part of your Service Charge.

How can I get in touch?

The Rangers are a part of the Environmental Services department who can be contacted at or on 0800 917 9455.